Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Ode to Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks died yesterday at the age of 92. While what she did for the civil rights movement is well documented, there is one aspect of her bus antics that I think gets overlooked. Parks did what she did for sincere reasons and beliefs that she held in her heart. She didn't do it to gain attention in the media. She didn't do it to obtain a book deal or a movie role like so many instant celebrities do today. She had no idea at the time that she was writing history - that her simple act would lead to such change in our country.

Tice Let Off The Hook

Vikings head coach Mike Tice owes kicker Paul Edinger a huge thank you. After refusing to call a timeout when the Packers were milking the clock to set up for a game-tying field goal, Culpepper and his receivers made the most of the 24 seconds Tice left them. But before everybody goes and puts the Vikings in the Super Bowl after one win, lets remember that their wins are against the Saints and the Packers. And the Packers only win is against those horrendous Saints.

Back In My Day...

While I'm only 27 years old, I am more frequently finding myself sounding like an old man with an occasional "kids these days rant". A week ago I left a soccer game at Wayzata High School to find a flyer under my windshield wipers. The flyer was put out by a group called "Concerned Parents of Wayzata". It was in informational flyer warning parents of activities teenagers are engaging in at alarming rates. The topics included hooking up, sex parties and binge drinking among other things. The one that I couldn't believe was choking parties. Apparently teenagers are gathering together to choke one another to achieve some sort of head rush that occurs when one passes out. Now admittedly I didn't exactly run with the popular crowd in high school, but choking parties? C'mon. If you can't find something better to do with your free time than choking your best friend then you don't really deserve to experience adulthood.



2 Comments:

Blogger Manateechik said...

Great. More stuff to worry about when my kids get older.

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a student at the time, I found the flier downright hilarious. It warns parents of, among other things, goths and "sex drugs". The behaviors listed in the flier were limited to a fairly small minority. Judging by the writing style of the flier, I'd say it was the most repressive parents that (a) raised these kids and (b) wrote the flier.

It reminds me of government propaganda, except when the government produces it, I'm pretty sure they have a clue.

Oh, Wayzata...

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home