Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Focus On The Family Frauds

Evangelical pastor Ted Haggard - who resigned as senior pastor of New Life Church in Colorado Springs after admitting he had sexual relations with another man - has proclaimed himself "completely heterosexual" after three weeks of "intensive counseling".

THREE WEEKS?!?! It was that simple huh? They just counseled all the gay-ness out of him? O.k. two questions. Who do these people think they are? And how the heck do they get hundreds of thousands of people to attend their churches and follow their advice? I imagine these are the same people who watch the 700 Club and actually believe that Pat Robertson and God "talk" on a daily basis. If I was an evangelical and heard these things from my suppossed "leaders" I would consider them to have a serious credibility issue. But that's just me and I'm just an old fashioned Lutheran so I guess it's not my problem.

While I'm on the subject, I've decided that James Dobson may be the scariest man alive today, given the number of people that hear his message on a daily basis. This is a man who believes that men have the divine right to be the leaders of their family and that women have the divine obligation to submit to their authority. He disaproves of women with children under the age of 18 to work for income outside the home. He also advocates spanking. (Just what we need in today's society - a little more violence)

Now that my wife and I are expecting our first child I'm waiting for the day when someone offers us one of Dobson's books so that I can kindly tell them that Dobson isn't welcome in our home.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of Pat Robertson or James Dobson so I am writing here not to defend them.
My concern is to state what the Bible states about marriage, especially since you are going to be a dad soon (congratulations!).

Ephesians 5:
22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.
24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

It is plain in the above verses that God designed marriage to mimic the relationship between Christ and the church. A husband and wife are different emotionally and physically but they complement each other.

All of this is useful to you if you consider the Bible to be God's word and authoritative in your life. If not it may be foolishness to you.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home