Friday, November 18, 2005

Off To Iowa City

I'm leaving the promise land Friday night and heading south for Iowa to catch the tussle between the Gophers and Hawkeyes at Kinnick Stadium. I'll be sitting with four passionate and lifelong Hawkeye fans so it should be fun as long as the Gophers don't get their butts handed to them. Here's to hoping Laurence Maroney goes for 250 yards and three scores.

The Black Coach

Tonight ESPN's Outside The Lines show attempted to tackle the touchy issue of the lack of black coaches in Division I college football. While I completely agree that it is ridiculous that black coaches are rarely given the chance to become head coaches in the NCAA, I disagree with an argument put forth by analyst Mark May.

May argues that the NCAA should discipline schools who don't include an African American as a final candidate. I simply disagree with this because I don't think you can tell an Athletic Director or a CEO for that matter who to hire for a certain position when it's their ass on the line.

Besides did any African American coach really want to be the guy who the Detriot Lions brought in for an "interview" when everybody knew they were going to hire Steve Mariucci?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home