Wednesday, March 19, 2003

You Cant Make This Up

Two days ago I was shopping in the posh suburb of Edina at the Southdale Mall. While standing in line waiting to check out at (insert whispering voice here) The Gap, I was forced to stick my finger down my throat and heave everything out of my stomach because I was so disgusted. Two Edina-ites, who I will stereotype as wealthy homemakers, proceeded to have a five minute conversation in front of me about how they hope the war in Iraq will not "ruin their spring break vacations." The two women got so caught up in the conversation that after the cashier had finished ringing up several hundred dollars worth of clothes, he had to ask the woman three times how she was planning on paying for the items before he was heard. I guess that's what war boils down to nowdays for the average suburbanite! You can't make it up!

Make BYU Play on Sunday

In my opinion the NCAA should tell Brigham Young University that if they want to enjoy the perks of playing in the the most prestigous collegiate basketball tournament that they can find a way to play basketball on a Sunday. I don't remember the NFL changing the date of the Super Bowl for the likes of Mormon's Jim McMahon and Steve Young. Other team's shouldn't be forced to change their schedule and perhaps fly all around the country so BYU won't have to play on Sunday. It's called separation of church and state. Deal with it!

The Need For 3

The Minnesota State High School League needs to take a serious look at hiring three referees for each basketball game. If not during the regular season, the MSHSL should at least have three refs for section playoff and state tournament games. This was never more evident to me that two weeks ago when Park Center and Hopkins faced off in a section final game. The two teams played a very fast pace style of basketball and the two officials were obviously having trouble keeping up with the pace of the game. We owe it to these student athletes to have three officials not only so the game is called fairly, but for the safety of the players.

A Crowded Soapbox

Is anybody else dreading the upcoming Academy Awards for the sole fact that every actor and actress who steps up to the microphone is going to feel the need to tell us how they feel about the war in Iraq. I don't care if we have to sew Susan Sarandon's mouth shut, I don't want to hear phony speech after phony speech about how peace is the answer. If you want to have a say in how our country is run, run for office!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home